Today’s Nutritional Science
The Nutritional Science focuses on the physiological and biological aspects of foods and nutrients. Opportunities for nutritional scientists include research positions in laboratories, hospitals, and industry.
There is a lot of frustration regarding nutrition, conflicting information regarding different types of diets, and what implications nutrition has on people’s health. Experts believe that to make meaningful change in people’s lives, we need to change people’s environments. Aim is to provide the public our resources to find out more information about nutrition. Many people in USA are suffering from diagnosed or undiagnosed pre-diabetes. Pre-diabetes means individuals may have high blood sugar and other risk factors of the disease. Two-thirds of the country is overweight and obese, but what’s more scary that half of the remaining one-third are also unhealthy, or a metabolically unhealthy lean individual. Then there is occurrence of chronic disease in the forecast. And no wonder it can affect other diseases like heart disease, cancer. Although it is the leading cause of preventable blindness and kidney failure. It is becoming very prominent as it has less of a stigma behind it. Majority of cases of diabetes are preventable, and people don’t do enough to prevent it.
Nutrition science has to be a lot more imprecise. It’s filled with contradictory studies that are each rife with flaws and limitations. The messiness of this field is a big reason why nutrition advice can be confusing. Reason is conducting clinical trials on nutrition is practically impossible.
- Nutrition science has to be a lot more imprecise. It’s filled with contradictory studies that are each rife with flaws and limitations. The messiness of this field is a big reason why nutrition advice can be confusing. It’s undeniably a good thing that scientists can’t imprison people and force them to stick to a particular diet. But it means that real-world clinical trials on diet tend to be messy and not so clear-cut.
- Nutrition researchers have to rely on observational studies but chances of uncertainty is very high. These studies run for years and track very large numbers of people who are already eating a certain way, periodically checking in to see, for example, who develops heart disease or cancer. Researchers can try to control for some of these confounding factors but they can’t conduct research on all of them.
- Nutritional research rely mostly on surveys. After all, the scientists can’t hover over every single person and watch what they eat for decades. So they have subjects report on their diets.
- Now after many surveys and research, researchers are also learning that different bodies have really different responses to the same food. That makes nutrition research even more difficult, introducing another confounding factor.
- The problems with nutrition research may make it seem impossible to know anything about diet and nutrition. But that’s not true. Researchers have used all these imperfect tools to learn some important things over the years.
A healthy dietary pattern is higher in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, low- or non-fat dairy, seafood, legumes, and nuts; moderate in alcohol (among adults); lower in red and processed meats; and low in sugar-sweetened foods and drinks and refined grains. Additional strong evidence shows that it is not necessary to eliminate food groups or conform to a single dietary pattern to achieve healthy dietary patterns. Rather, individuals can combine foods in a variety of flexible ways to achieve healthy dietary patterns, and these strategies should be tailored to meet the individual’s health needs, dietary preferences and cultural traditions.